I hope my regular readers will forgive me for clearing out an old backlog topic here; it's not really in keeping with my usual content. I will not be questioning anyone's parenting style here, or anyone's parents' parenting styles. I'm hoping there are still a few useful areas of discussion.
This post's title "Spare the rod, spoil the child"? deserves its question-mark on more than one front. Many people believe that saying is from the Biblical book of Proverbs; it's not. It's from a satirical poem which pokes fun at all kinds of things, the common moral code included.
The proverb being satirized at that point is likely Proverbs 23:13-14, "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you beat him with a rod he will not die. Beat him with a rod and you will save him from the grave." (JPS translation). The JPS commentary notes, "Corporal punishment can save a child from sins that will lead to his death." Of course, other things may also save a child from sins that will lead to his death, and there is (I think) where the productive conversation lies.
I grew up in a time and place where all children that I knew were corrected with corporal punishment. It was not considered abusive as such, though abusive parents existed. The current debate -- the casual one among parents, not the academics -- generally divides up into two camps. The pro-corporal-punishment camp generally believes that the time-out-and-talking camp is too permissive. The time-out-and-talking camp generally believes that the corporal punishment camp is not only ineffective but dangerous. Please keep in mind, again, that I will not be questioning anyone's parenting style here, or anyone's parents' parenting styles.
My own experience as a parent: I raised my children during the time when, as a culture, we had begun to re-think corporal punishment. So in my children's earlier days I used corporal punishment, then I decided to try the time-out-and-talking method. I found time-out-and-talking to be at least as effective on correcting the attitude and more effective on a peaceful atmosphere in the home, and so kept with it. All of this is simply my experience; as they say, your mileage may vary.
Here are the discussions I think are productive:
When is discipline too harsh?
Yes, there is such a thing as discipline that is too harsh. The "corporal punishment" approach carries actual physical risk of harm; anyone who takes that approach -- in places where it is still legal -- carries a serious responsibility to be calm and proportionate. The "time-out and talking" approach does not risk physical harm; however, it can descend to fits of rage and verbal abuse; simply for being non-physical, it is not automatically kinder. It can likewise be out of proportion. So the "time-and out talking" approach also carries the responsibility to be calm and proportionate.
When is discipline too lenient?
Of course there is such a thing as discipline that is too lenient, or missing. If children are not learning to manage themselves, to be responsible, or if children are allowed to be disruptive, then that calls for correction.
What is the end goal when handling a specific disciplinary problem?
I'm rewinding to my experiences as a child: afterwards, it was rarely clear to me what the problem was, or what the expectations were, or what I should have done differently. The main take-away message was "don't make Mom mad." Productive discipline will help a child understand the expectations, think twice about acting out on an impulse, grow a sense of self-control, and develop the capacity to reason through a situation. Those are the things I most wish had been part of my childhood training.
No comments:
Post a Comment