Sunday, January 30, 2022

Loving the world, one thing at a time

 "For God so loved the world ..." -- John 3:16

I know that there are times when the scriptures speak of the world in its corrupt state, where "loving the world" means "worldliness", in which the world has become an idol. In that sense, "Friendship with the world is enmity toward God." 

Because God loves the world, we know there is a right way to love the world, and a sense in which we are called to join in that love. When the world gets between us and God, then loving the world is idolatry. But when we are God's ambassadors to the world, then loving the world is an act of blessing and redemption. And when we are simply God's creatures, then loving the world is gratitude for what he has done.

My new year's resolution this year is to try to be mindful of these kinds of love of the world, to participate by loving the people, places, and things in front of me. "The world" is too big and too abstract for me. But I can love my family, one child at a time. I can love the world, one mockingbird at a time. I can love the world, one cat at a time. It is easier for me to take in small steps. Loving the world, one wildflower at a time. Loving the world, one apple at a time. Loving the world, one neighbor at a time. 

3 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Yes, there is a right way to love the world (and individuals that I should love). May God help me find this way. In Christ's name.

Weekend Fisher said...

Hi Martin

It looks like a lifelong journey to me.
Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Martin LaBar said...

Indeed, a lifelong journey.