Sunday, April 26, 2020

"Let us not become weary of doing good"

I find it very easy to get tired of things that are repetitive. Laundry. Certain tasks at work. Being civil to people who are routinely rude.

I wouldn't stop doing laundry, though: I recognize its necessity. I wouldn't stop doing tasks that irk at work: I intend to keep the job for awhile yet. But keeping a civil tongue toward those who are rude -- it's easy not to see the necessity. It's easy to get tired of it, especially when it's frustrating or I don't see any useful result. (Though I think "not seeing a result" may be part of the point: if I repaid someone else's unkindness with more unkindness, I think I would see a result: a negative result.)

It's easy to find ourselves fighting burnout from any frustrating task. It's a sad comment that kindness can be a frustrating task, but still it can be true.

"Let us sow to please the Spirit. ... Let us not become weary of doing good. ... Let us do good to all people as we have opportunity." What does kindness look like today? It may look like sidewalk chalk art. It may look like hosting an online get-together (or attending one), or making a phone call. Most people that I talk to these days are hungry for a human connection amid all the isolation. Because the church is built of living stones. The body of Christ is made of people.

I am grateful for the online platforms that allow me to stay connected.

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

"It's a sad comment that kindness can be a frustrating task, but still it can be true."

Weekend Fisher said...

Hey Martin

Good to see you. Hope you are safe & well.
Take care & God bless
Anne / WF