Thursday, June 23, 2011

What Bible verse are you?

"I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat ..." - Mother Theresa of Calcutta.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - MLK

"Consider the lilies of the field." - Francis of Assissi

"Sing to the LORD a new song." - Charles Wesley, Amy Grant ...

I suspect that everybody has a verse, or a collection of verses, that really speak to them. The saints among us are those who follow that call of the Word of God.

If you think that being "born of again of the Word of God" is just a figure of speech, ask yourself this: Was Mother Theresa just an unusually good person, or was she an incarnation of the parable of the sheep and the goats? I believe that her spirit was born again when she heard the verses that called to her, and the word of God took root in her and lived.

I think most of us know the call of those verses that speak to us.

So I'm not kidding when I ask, "What Bible verse are you?"

3 comments:

Craig said...

Two for me:

Psalm 85:10-11 - "Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other. Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven." - is a beautiful summation of the paradigm that I believe best fits the biblical worldview and sources the theme of my own blog, "Thin Places."

Psalm 46:10 - "Be still and know that I am God" - reminds me that without God I lose my way very quickly and I must slow down my own thoughts and plans to receive His Word and direction. 

Weekend Fisher said...

Excellent verses, man.

I still remember the first time a Bible passage did that to me, you know, really grabbed hold of me and took root in me and shaped my life. It was many years ago now, and I was reading about Solomon's dream where he dreams God has offered him anything at all -- and he asks for wisdom (I Kings 3:5-15). I prayed that prayer right along with Solomon.

Though I wonder if it would have been better if I had prayed to love. That's the heart of God. But hey, that's what daily prayers are for, right? ;)

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

macris said...

psalm 37 :4 - "delight in the Lord and He will grant your hearts desire"

God is love, in experiencing his love we must remain in Him.let our life be a form of prayer and keep the fire burning as we make a difference through every hearts of men.