Sunday, June 14, 2009

Liturgy of Luke: Confessions and Absolutions

Here is my first draft of different invitations to confession, confessions, and absolutions from the Gospel of Luke. As the Gospel of Luke is rich in suitable material for this, several variations are shown here.




Invitation to confession: Salvation has come to this house. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what is lost. (Luke 19:9-10)

Confession: My enemies accuse me before you, saying I am a sinner. They accuse me rightly. The memory of my wickedness shames me and brings me to tears. But I am not alone in being accused; they also accuse you, that you are a friend of sinners; in you I place my hope. (Luke 7:37-39; 7:34)

Absolution: Your sins, which are many, are forgiven. Your faith has saved you. Go in peace. (Luke 7:47-50) I say to you, there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous who had no need of repentance, and over the repentance of a sinner there is joy in the presence of the angels of God. (Luke 15:7, 10)




Confession: Lord, in the weight of my sin I cannot lift my eyes to heaven. God, be merciful to me, a sinner. (Luike 18:13)

Absolution: I tell you, the one who humbles himself before God is the one who is exalted; the one who pleads for mercy is the one who returns to his home justified before God. (Luke 18:14)




Invitation to confession:
P: Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Luke 5:31-32; see also Matt 9:12-13)

(I haven't worked out the wording of the confession yet.)

Absolution:
P: "The Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins. Your sins are forgiven." (Luke 5:24, 20; see also Matt 9:6, 2).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are all very good, WF! I appreciate the obvious care with which you've pulled these together.

By the way, I've just posted the first portion of my Hebrews liturgy.

http://pursiful.com/?p=1667