Sunday, October 22, 2023

Rejoicing in the hope of the glory of God

I'm continuing to contemplate hope. As I study the Scriptures, I am intrigued by how strongly Paul focuses on hope in his letter to Rome. I found this passage of Scripture stretches my heart and mind in new directions: 
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we also have access by faith into this grace in which stand, and we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. We rejoice also in our trials knowing that trials work patience, and patience experience, and experience hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit which is given to us. (Romans 5:1-5)
"The hope of the glory of God" is encouraging for me to consider. When I think of his glory, I think of the beauty of his holiness, that unique combination of power and purity at the heart of creation. It brings me thoughts of the last day, of justice, of restoration, of peace. Paul says we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. It's a glad thought, a celebration here and now. I could look forward to the glory of God the way that a child looks forward to Christmas, and my days would be better for it. 

I've read this passage before -- and I remember years ago thinking the part about "rejoicing in our trials" was nonsense. During a season of hardship, I remember people telling me that on the other side things would be better again; I remember disbelieving it. "Trials work patience, and patience experience, and experience hope." While our hope is in God, a serious trial can take our eyes off God -- and a light which is not seen is no help at all. Now that I have been through more trials in life, it makes more sense: experience also teaches hope. St Paul knew of which he spoke, given the number of hardships he had endured. Shipwrecked, arrested, imprisoned, beaten, fleeing for his life at times. He knew that eventually one of those hardships would have his name on it and be his last in this world. In the meantime, he understood: Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. It took more experience before I understood that. 

Then Paul speaks of some fulfillment of hope in this present world: "because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit which is given to us." This world has troubles; there is always need for the love of God. For an infusion into my own heart, that is a beautiful and desirable thing. I pray for the love of God to be shed abroad in my heart that way. If all of us who hope in God would have his love poured out into our hearts, and from there we pour that love into the world, then the world would change. We're human, we're fallen; it's too easy to grumble against each other and find fault with each other. Better that I should let the love of God be shed abroad in my heart by the Holy Spirit, better that I should receive that gift of love gladly. If we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, I would desire for that same peace to extend to each other as well. 

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Good post. Thanks.

Weekend Fisher said...

Hi Martin

Thank you for the encouragement!

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF