Sunday, January 31, 2021

Loving the world: as I love myself

There is a real sense in which our calling, as Christians, is to love the world. When God saved the world, we are told that his motive was not duty or obligation, but love. The ability to see us as we were meant to be is love; the inability to see someone in that light is a lack of love. "Love is blind" is not quite right; love has the ability to see the possible, to connect us. Ultimately we become more like whoever shares that connection with us.

In all the stories about superheroes and supervillains, the two groups have comparable abilities; the difference between a hero and a villain is a matter of heart. The meaningful difference is not their prowess but their kindness. Our participation in saving the world is by loving the world. So where can I start? 

"Love your neighbor as yourselves." For that to be true, there must be legitimate self-love: not fawning self-absorption, nor a cold and clinical duty to self. I picture a grounded warmth in the heart, and a willing commitment to our own well-being, our own inclusion, our own consideration in matters that affect us. For us to be able to "love our neighbors as ourselves" requires first that we love ourselves: that we put aside any fawning or coldness or self-directed harshness and instead love in a meaningful way, with a consideration we would be glad to receive from others. It is the ground on which I can meet others; if I have not formed the right heart toward myself then I will not be able to do form it toward others. 

Once I am grounded in love as God intends, I can love the world one neighbor at a time.

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

"... there must be legitimate self-love: not fawning self-absorption, nor a cold and clinical duty to self."

Weekend Fisher said...

Hi Martin

Thank you for the encouragement!

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF