Sunday, September 27, 2020

Bless those who curse you, pray for those who persecute you

"Bless those who curse you, pray for those who persecute you" -- Jesus

If ever a nation was in need of prayer, that is our nation today. 

Lord, may we work together with gentleness

And rebuild respect

May we recall your compassion for us

And consider your love for our neighbor

May we put down our zeal to find fault in others

Grant us a Sabbath rest from our own anger

May we see that every fault that can be found

Is nothing but what is common to humankind

And can be found in friend and enemy alike. 

May I extend to those who hate me the same grace that I would to a friend. 

May I bless those who curse me

May I pray for those who persecute me

May I greet those who would turn their backs


If someone aims arrogant words against me

May I win them over without words


May I encourage the timid

And walk the path of faithfulness

May justice and peace be reacquainted

May truth be spoken with love


May those who sow discord find us slow to believe evil of others

May we doubt the evil that we have come to believe

As the evil one is the father of lies

May we forget our enmity and remember our neighbor

May we turn away from the ranks of the Accuser

And weaken the forces of evil by deserting our hatred


2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Great prayer. Thanks.

Weekend Fisher said...

Thank you, Martin. I just really needed to pray.

I am grateful for your kind mention of it on your blog.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF