Sunday, July 21, 2019

Mary and Martha are back again

I am hoping that the mandatory overtime at work -- such a common feature of my summers -- will come to an end sometime over the next few weeks, and I can again develop deeper material that requires more thought and research and soul-searching. But in the meantime, I am grateful that today's lesson was on Jesus visiting the home of Martha and Mary.
As they went on their way, he entered into a certain village, and a woman named Martha received him into her house. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at Jesus’ feet and heard his word. But Martha was distracted with serving, and she came up to him, and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister left me to serve? Ask her to help me.”
Jesus answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen the good part, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42)
 On a day in which I consider thinking, "I should do more," maybe it was a good day to remember that that's not always the best. 
 
Some events recorded in Scripture are old friends, and this one I welcome back again. Bless the evangelists, and the lectionary! And most of all bless Christ's compassion. When he advocates for Mary, it builds my faith that yes, his yoke is easy, and his burden is light. 

 

3 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Good thoughts.

BK said...

God calls us to rest in Him, not busy ourselves with work that He has not called us to do. That does not mean we don't do work -- it is just that we must take time to rest in God so that our work is really in concert with His will.

Weekend Fisher said...

Hi Martin & BK

Good to see you both. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF