Monday, March 25, 2019

The life well-lived: By what measure does a Christian measure success?

I'm a day late posting. I'm traveling and certain of my on-line accounts "helpfully" recognized that I wasn't using my usual device or my usual location, and set up a few extra hoops before I could access my accounts even with the correct credentials. 

I'm currently visiting a relative as he celebrates a very round birthday. If I should reach the age he is currently celebrating, I'd find my own celebration mixed with the thought that it might well be the last of the very round birthdays. At that point, when the inevitable comes, no one will say the passing is premature; it's a milestone at which the comments turn to the "long, full life" that has been lived.

What makes for a full life, for a Christian? I am here thinking specifically about the shape it has taken for the person I'm here to celebrate.
  • A loving, faithful marriage spanning decades until death parted them some few years ago
  • A solid career that enabled him to both provide well for his family and to help others generously
  • A lifestyle of hospitality, with his door and his heart always open to a new friend
  • A consistency of warmth and kindness that has built many friendships and earned much trust
  • A genuine concern for others
He is deeply Christian, and so it is fitting to see his character in terms of the Christian virtues of faith, hope, and love -- the greatest of which is love. I don't know that he would see it that way; he might say he is a "people person", or "tries his best". The focus of his life is -- and has always been -- the human connections. To watch what motivates him, his most frequent motive is love.

There is value in recognizing someone's virtue. Of course that act of recognizing helps cultivate virtue in the mind, too, but I think mainly it helps in building our own love.

1 comment:

Martin LaBar said...

Three important virtues.