Sunday, August 30, 2009

Personal Notes #2 - Yeah!

Hi there

Thank you for the encouragement and patience. This summer (since mid-May) my average work week has been around 52 or 53 hours. This Friday I completed 33 consecutive days without a day off (including weekends) and was more tired than I can tell you. Yesterday was my first day off for weeks on end; I played catch-up on a few things I have put off far too long. And today, I was OFF. Like, OFF -- the closest I came to working was teaching a Sunday school class this morning. I can literally feel the strain draining back out of my shoulders ...

I have post ideas bouncing around my head again -- it happens when I have time to think. :)


PS (PSanafter-thought) said...

I hope what you had to work so hard on was important to somebody and that you were paid well.

Howard said...

Good to have you back. Having been doing extra hours myself the past few weeks (though not nearly as many as you've had to cover), I know how that eats into everything else.
I hope calmer waters are ahead.

Weekend Fisher said...

Hi PS - well, yes, it was important to someone, and I was well compensated ... but it gets to the point where the money isn't worth it. I'm glad it's winding down. And we've been hiring and hiring, it just takes awhile to get people trained.


Hi Howard. Thanks! I hope your schedule isn't too bad. I have a lot of sympathy for that! It doesn't have to be nightmarish to still be hard.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

PS (PSanafter-thought) said...

I'm glad to hear that somebody is hiring. Currently my son and daughter-in-law are unemployed. They just moved to NC so she could attend the U there. But son would be unemployed back home as well, as he's been downsized out twice. Youngest daughter also just moved, so she is also unemployed. She will probably be applying for grad school, but meanwhile needs to eat.

Requirements of time to do a job, or at least to do it right, can creep up and up. My husband was in a very good job for 28 years and the time required just got worse and worse, with management having no clue, so he bailed and took a position with considerably less satisfaction, but less stress and many fewer hours. The original place was like, "why didn't you say something?" and I thought, geeze, 2 + 2=4 and why didn't you listen? So now the remaining people and the replacement and fill in people aren't expected to work so many hours.