- The task of theology is to know God, which is to say to know him by fellowship and not by mere analysis.
- The theme of theology is the communion of God with man.
- In content, this means knowing the Word of God joining with humanity in Christ.
- In content, this also means knowing the Holy Spirit transforming us into Sons of God and temples of God like Christ.
- This fellowship with God is "grace"; it is proclaimed in the work of God in Christ and through the Holy Spirit.
- Therefore the task of theology is to restore us to fellowship with God by the knowledge of Christ, leading us to become a sanctuary for God's Spirit in this world.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
The task and theme of theology
I've recently become a reader of Faith and Theology by Ben Myers. Reading his favorite posts, I saw one on the task and theme of theology. Amazing how differently people can think of "theology". Here are my thoughts on the task and theme of theology, playing off Ben Myers' points somewhat: