Saturday, February 04, 2006

From the early Muslim biography of Mohammed: Muhayyisa and Huwayyisa

This account of the brothers Muhayyisa and Huwayyisa is taken from the early orthodox Muslim biography of Mohammed, the Sirat Rasul Allah. Offensive content warning (for peace-loving people). Translation by A. Guillaume, Oxford University Press, 3rd printing 1970 as The Life of Muhammad.
The apostle [by which they mean Muhammad] said, 'Kill any Jew that falls into your power.' Thereupon Muhayyisa b. Mas`ud leapt upon Ibn Sunayna, a Jewish merchant with whom they had social and business relations, and killed him. Huwayissa was not a Muslim at that time though he was the elder brother. When Muhayissa killed him Huwayyisa began to beat him, saying, 'You enemy of God, did you kill him when much of the fat on your belly comes from his wealth?' Muhayyisa answered, 'Had the one who ordered me to kill him ordered me to kill you I would have cut your head off.' He said that this was the beginning of Huwayyisa's acceptance of Islam. The other replied, 'By God, if Muhammad had ordered you to kill me would you have killed me?' He said, 'Yes, by God, had he ordered me to cut off your head I would have done so.' He exclaimed, 'By God, a religion which can bring you to this is marvellous!' and he became a Muslim.
Children of the West, play the PC game at your own risk -- but play with your eyes open. I could continue this vein a post a day for months from official and ancient Muslim sources until everyone were tired and sickened by it; there are more godly and more edifying things to discuss so I might do a few more though not many. But please friends, it's time everyone did their homework on Islam. Our job as Christians is to teach the truth about God: that God is love and that he has reconciled the world to himself in Christ. If we forget this and look for peace outside of Christ, we should ask ourselves if Faust ever actually got a receipt.

1 comment:

Weekend Fisher said...

To Kim F.: It's a series; be patient. Though at the end of your comment you were at risk of making my point for me. As for "PC" -- it's an actual phenomenon over here, more fallout from the repub/dem wars. Btw I just happened to see your comment over at Ben's, but I expect that particular thread over at Ben's to be old news soon. Best guarantee that I spot your comment is to leave it over here if you're interested.