Sunday, October 23, 2022

Book of Proverbs: Word Cloud as an objective check of its emphasis

I often use a word cloud to get an objective overview of a document. I may have my preconceptions about it, but the word cloud software does not share them. Here is an overview of the Book of Proverbs generated by my go-to WordCloud software: 

created at TagCrowd.com

This overview can guide my insights: there is a contrast of opposites: foolish or wise, death or life, wicked or righteous. It is grounded in humanity and relations: father and friend and neighbor. The top focus is on a man and the Lord. The book is about the value of being upright, heeding instruction, seeking  knowledge and understanding. These things bring righteousness and honor into life. 

An overview -- much less a word cloud -- is not meant provide a full picture a book, but it can ground our approach. 

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks for posting this. Interesting.

I don't know if anyone actually reads my blog, but I have linked to your post for the October 26 edition.

Weekend Fisher said...

Thank you, I appreciate the link.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF