Sunday, January 24, 2021

What is the world to me? God loves the world

I believe it would be tone-deaf and inappropriate for me to choose this particular moment to resume my prior series; that kind of thing in its own time. This post, in its way, intends to engage current events with a Christian response. 


Before I have written at length on how the faithful cultivate a heart like God's and pursue actions like God's in their humility, loving kindness, and goodwill. (Series index.) In that light, I'd like to consider one phrase: "For God so loved the world." It's easy to think of "the world" in the sense of "worldliness" as in the well-known hymn, "What is the world to me?" which reflects on the vanities that we do well to avoid. By itself, though, it is incomplete for a Christian to picture the world only in terms of its vanities. "For God so loved the world." For all its messiness, for all its heartaches and troubles, God loves the world.

What is the world to me? 

  • The gift of God's creation, very good in every way. 
  • His providence, his grace for all that he has made
  • The declaration of God's glory. 
  • The beauty of holiness.
  • The home of his people, the bride for his salvation. 

God loves the world and the people in it. The core of God's being, the fountain of God's grace, the origin of morality itself, is love. If our calling is to be like God as beloved children are like their Father, then our calling is to love the world as he does.

5 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

I see that you are getting some spam. Sorry.

"The core of God's being, the fountain of God's grace, the origin of morality itself, is love."

Weekend Fisher said...

It's been awhile since I was a spam-target. Took me a minute to delete all the extra messages. Thank you for being real!

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Martin LaBar said...

You are welcome. Spam is a pain.

News said...

Meanwhile, Snoop also claims Dr. Dre is working on songs for the next instalment in the Grand Theft Auto series.

Fakaza

Lucy said...

But instead of simply saying, “Happy Birthday!” this year, eventprofs here are some of the best happy birthday quotes, birthday wishes, and happy birthday messages to make a loved one feel extra special. romantic good morning love, dog puns, secret santa questions, good morning prayer, easter greetings, corn puns and happy birthday to my daughter