Sunday, May 19, 2019

Good Shepherd Sunday: Where do we find the lost and hurting?

I get it: everyone is hurting, or has been, or will be; everyone has felt lost, or will feel that at some point. But if Christ's love moves us to help, there are places we can look for people who would be glad for a friendly voice now. Despite how much time can be lost on social media, our society is badly under-connected -- I'd go so far as to say dangerously under-connected -- in a human sense.

Thinking of "Good Shepherd" Sunday on the Christian calendar, for a moment I'd like to look at the fact of being lost: usually it also mean being alone. Separated. No companionship. These days so many people turn to TV for company, and people may have more imaginary friends than real-life friends (for example, characters in TV shows). It can mask the isolation for a time, or numb it -- but it can't satisfy.

There is value in real-life human connection, an art to the kind of hospitality that creates fellowship. I found myself wondering where to look for people who may feel lost. At first I concentrated on the highest-risk places: hospitals, half-way houses, shelters, and so on. Still, the art of connection begins at home. May I build connections with my current circle of friends and family, my neighbors, and the pew-mates at church.



2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Well said. Now to do.

Weekend Fisher said...

I have some friends who tell me that the main thing is showing up. They have a point.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF