Sunday, November 02, 2014

Controversies in the Church: Is there a purgatory? (The dilemma of indulgences)

In this post, rather than directly tackling the question of purgatory, I'm instead exploring how it ties into the related practice of granting indulgences. Why would I approach purgatory from the side issue of indulgences? Because the questions in my mind show that there are some things about the doctrines that I simply don't understand. It seems best if I should try to find understanding with the questions that I already have, before moving forward with a next step. 

So "purgatory" (roughly speaking) is a place where, according to Roman Catholics, those who die in the Lord go to be purged from the stains of earthly sins. I have heard it explained as a penalty for sin or as a purification to cleanse the soul (or both). We'll come back to that in a moment, after we look at "indulgences". I should also mention: Purgatory is often portrayed as unpleasant or painful. 

And "indulgences" are the Roman Catholic church's grant of remission or pardon, including shortening the time in purgatory for the dearly departed. 

Here are the things that don't make sense to me, looking at those two doctrines side by side: 

If "purgatory" is necessary in order to cleanse the soul, then how can that time be shortened and still do the necessary job of purification? If someone were released from purgatory before being thoroughly cleansed, could they enter paradise? Or if the necessary job of cleansing the soul were complete, why were they still in purgatory? We might even ask, if they were still in purgatory after being cleansed, was it simply as punishment? And if they remained as punishment, then where is the forgiveness of sins? 

Or if someone were to say that purgatory is not painful or unpleasant -- then where is the benefit of indulgences at all? Why would we want early release, if purgatory were not painful? 

So to sum up: If we say the time in purgatory is endured out of necessity, then how can there be any change in the duration? Or if a change in duration is a mercy that can be done and still meet the need, then why is that mercy not always shown, since we've already agreed it meets the need? If we say that time in purgatory is not endured out of necessity, then why is it done at all? 

These are the questions in my mind about purgatory that are raised by the church's claim to grant indulgences. 

7 comments:

John Joseph Flanagan said...

I do not feel that reconciliation is desirable or achievable when one considers the many unbiblical and extra-biblical doctrines of Catholicism. To attempt to find a middle ground is not possible. Martin Luther wanted reforms and reconciliation, but then he realized that the Roman Catholic Church under Papal leadership was far too intransigent and corrupt, too worldly, and like today, resistant to all but symbolic changes. A Catholic idea of reconciliation is that all churches, both Eastern Orthodox and Protestant, abandon their own doctrines and line up with Rome. The quicker you realize this, the easier it will be to simply get on with the Gospel message and share it with a lost world, rather than waste your time with disputes of doctrine which will not be resolved until The Lord returns,

Weekend Fisher said...

I don't expect we'll find any "middle ground"; I'm aware of what Rome currently sees as reconciliation. I still consider it worthwhile to look at the differences. I'd like to see people discussing their differences reasonably. The more of us who do that, the fewer barriers there will be to sharing Christ with a lost world.

Take care & God bless
WF

John Joseph Flanagan said...

What you are suggesting is like asking Elijah to sit down and discuss "reasonably" the difference between the worship of God and BAAL. I would say the "barriers" to sharing the Gospel of Christ includes the Catholic doctrines which the Church of Rome will never abandon.

Weekend Fisher said...

There's a bigger picture. Let's take another example: if a Christian debates Bart Ehrman, the goal is not necessarily to persuade Bart Ehrman ...

Take care & God bless
WF

John Joseph Flanagan said...

Do you remember when Jesus told the ones He sent out that if they were rejected by some householders they were to shake the very dust of that place and go to the next ? Although God wants us to be unrelenting in uttering the words of salvation to a lost world, He knows there are situations in which some will totally reject the truth...and further discussion with them is fruitless. I see this myself when the people I meet in my life, including educated and religious ones, especially Catholics, do not embrace the Gospel message, but discard grace and replace it with a belief in works as the way to salvation.

John Joseph Flanagan said...

Let me add, my brother, that it is not unbiblical for us to seek reconciliation with other Christians, and I do see that your motivations are pure, but we can only do so by maintaining our integrity and avoiding compromises for the sake of agreement. But even apart from Catholicism, the multitude of Protestant differences in doctrines and biblical interpretations can be unsettling. As much as we try to do the right thing, and follow the scriptures, we will always have these areas of intense disputation among us. For me, I have accepted my ignorance and humility before God, and I am at peace with the faith, knowing that He will settle these matters. Focusing on being a born again child of God, a sinner saved by grace alone, apart from works, and feeling the blessed assurance of being a Heaven bound saint, satisfies me and makes me whole. Knowing Christ has saved me by His sacrifice on the cross gives me a sense of confidence and gratitude which words cannot describe. Although I was once Catholic for many years, including one year in a Capuchin Franciscan prep seminary, I left the church long ago, began a spiritual journey of inquiry and concluded that the Reformation purged the faith of many false ideas and doctrines. I am with the LCMS, and believe the Lutheran confessions, but know that God has His people in other denominations as well, and He well understands our differences. The true children of God will focus more on their relationship with Jesus, who is real to each of them, and the theological issues will have to be worked out. Loving The Lord with our whole mind and strength brings us to Him without any pre-conditions. God bless you.

Martin LaBar said...

Interesting questions, for sure.