Sunday, March 19, 2023

Lenten journey: Anxiety and resentment

But Martha was busy with serving, and came to him, and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her therefore that she help me." And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things "... Luke 10:40-41 

Normally when I read this passage, I rush past Martha and look at Mary: Mary who sat and listened as Jesus spoke, Mary who (as Jesus says) chose better. But during Lent, I can see that sometimes I resemble Martha. It looks like she resented her sister, or resented the lack of help, or resented the burden of the chores, or was jealous of the chance to sit and rest, or of the chance to be included in the conversation. There are a lot of possibilities. Did she mind that she was busy, or did she mind that her sister wasn't? Jesus calls Martha twice -- did she need a moment to slow down and breathe, to hear his voice and see his face? He says Martha is "anxious and troubled about many things." Being anxious and troubled about many things can lead me to miss what is important. Being anxious and troubled can tempt me to resent those who are not. Anxiety and fear do not bring out the best or kindest in us. Our frantic efforts to make things right can cause us to miss out on what is better. 

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

"Being anxious and troubled can tempt me to resent those who are not."

Weekend Fisher said...

As always, thank you for the encouragement. :)

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF