Thursday, March 01, 2012

The baptism with which he was baptized

Remember when Jesus was headed to Jerusalem, knowing he was about to be executed? And along the way the disciples had the wrong expectation. They seemed to think that visit to Jerusalem was going to be the beginning of the Last Day. This was going to be the beginning of the Golden Age. King Messiah was coming into his own -- and they were his first, most loyal followers. They argued amongst themselves about who was the greatest. Some even came privately, jockeying for position, nominating themselves to sit at Jesus' right hand and left hand in the Kingdom. His answer was not encouraging:
Can you drink the cup I am going to drink, or be baptized with the baptism with which I will be baptized? (Jesus, to the self-promoters and would-be rulers)
When Jesus had first called them, he said, "Follow me." But as the last journey to Jerusalem got nearer, he said: "Take up your cross and follow me."

If we follow Jesus, at first we may be like the disciples -- that is, not really understanding it about Jesus' death, and jockeying for position and recognition. Or when we see the cross, we may be like the mourners who watched. But eventually the day comes when we end up less like the mourners and more like the thief who was crucified next to him. That's not a bad thing. That's the only one to whom he said, "Today you will be with me in paradise."

2 comments:

cak said...

during an on campus ministry meeting a friend read your blog post to us and we were all in love. thank you so much for sharing this. we so appreciated it!!!

Weekend Fisher said...

That really made my day, to hear that it had helped someone.

I have a big place in my heart for on-campus ministries. I was in IVCF, back in the day ... such a great help to me during those college years.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF