Sunday, July 19, 2020

George Floyd - Things that need saying

I know politics isn't my usual topic, but I've had these things on my mind, and wanted to say them now that we've all had a moment to think. 

To some extent, the U.S. is still grappling with the murderous actions of a police officer who killed an unarmed man back in May. Many people have already said worthwhile things; I'll limit myself to a few points where I might add to the conversation by reinforcing points that haven't gained as much traction as they merit.

Good cop, bad cop

One of the more disturbing things that came to light is that it was no surprise that this particular officer (now ex-officer) was a bad actor. He had a long list of complaints against him. If he hadn't had a badge, I wonder whether he might have already been behind bars. The fact that he was still on the streets with a badge is disturbing. Because the officer was a known problem, it does in fact mean that the surrounding institutions (police leadership, possibly also police union leadership) share responsibility for what happened. (I'm not convinced that the police chief actually belongs in the cell next to ex-officer Chauvin -- but given that Chauvin was a repeat offender, the chief should at least answer to the public for how that happened, and what is being done to make sure that never happens again.) I do not want to hear the politicians or even the police chief give a hand-wringing speech -- though I do want to hear them take responsibility for fixing the problem. I want to see the police departments and leaders make a policy change that will get known troublemakers off the streets. I also need to hear the police unions say that, while of course they need to protect cops from malicious revenge-complaints, that they have also become willing to acknowledge there are bad actors and see them taken off the streets. I would also like to see an immediate review of repeat-offender cops so that they can be pulled off the streets now.

Protests and riots

After George Floyd's death, the outrage was more than understandable, it was right. Giving voice to that outrage was a simple act of decency, respect for the dead, and protest against injustice. In the places where there were peaceful public protests, they gave a visible form to the unanimous American sentiment that we will not tolerate this. It may be true that the number of unarmed people dying in police custody is down, that the trend is downward and has been for some years; it's still too high. As a nation, we insist on the day when the number of unarmed people who die from being arrested is zero.

And yet the protests were marred by riots. I can hear it now, "Don't call them riots, call them peaceful protests!" Nope; when there's a death toll, it's a riot. When there are even a series of violent injuries or deliberate arson I will say right back, "Don't call them peaceful protests, call them riots." When people are bringing backpacks full of concrete rubble so that they can attack police, or are pre-placing pallets of bricks for ready weapons, they are not even spontaneous outbursts of frustration, but intended and planned attacks. Too many people were killed; that doesn't happen in a peaceful protest. Neither is this the first time in recent years that political riots have killed people, have multiplied the death toll and, with blood on their own hands, undermine their own cause.

Black lives matter because all lives matter

From what I know at this point it looks clear to me that the cop belongs behind bars, and there's no telling whether his actions were racially motivated but they may have been, and that does add an extra layer of sickness to the events of that day. It is clear that many people perceive it as racially motivated. As a statement of fact, "Black lives matter" is true and it looks to me as though its truth is universally accepted, in that I have never heard anyone say that black lives do not matter. Still, there are legitimate reasons that I have heard people cite for distancing themselves from that particular way of phrasing things. Besides being a moral fact, unfortunately the phrase "Black Lives Matter" is also the name of a political organization that seems to have professional anarchists on speed-dial. Some peaceful people hesitate to use that phrase in order not to endorse an organization generally seen keeping close company with a terrorist/anarchist group, and that has a noticeable amount of blood on their hands over the years. Also, because there are a variety of races in this world, singling out one race that matters can send the wrong message, and eventually will send the wrong message. Considering the number of killings during the riots or in their wake, it has become increasingly necessary to affirm that all lives matter. Consider the recent report of the murder of a young woman for saying "All lives matter," or several people who are known to have lost their jobs for saying what is also a statement of fact, "All lives matter" -- which includes blacks along with all the other races as equals. Your life matters, my life matters, and nobody's safety or job should be in jeopardy for saying that their own life matters. There are people who are quick to shout down people for saying that their own life matters, who work to silence them, who falsely accuse them -- who even cite the alleged dog-whistle, the perennial excuse to justify doubling down on an unfounded accusation rather than issuing an apology, when looking into the facts turns up a complete lack of evidence for the original accusation. We live in a country where people have been retaliated against for saying that their own life matters. That is dangerous ground. Think twice.

Too broad a brush

The death of George Floyd has made it abundantly clear that there are bad cops out there. And yet I would bet that there are more good cops, and that it is unfair to judge them based on the bad ones in the group. In the same way, when it comes to group judgment, I would bet that most males are not sexual predators. We can think of other examples of group prejudice; but it's odd which ones are considered wrong and which ones are accepted. The court of public opinion has a long track record of over-generalizing, of going to all-or-nothing thinking, of making group accusations and assigning collective guilt.

While we're on the topic of painting with too broad a brush, I have reason to believe that most white people aren't racists. Yet there have been some very vocal white people saying that all white people are racists. I have no idea what's inside these peoples' heads, but I suspect that not only are they badly wrong, but I think they are actively doing harm. If I were a member of the black community, what would be more useful to me: hearing a white person send the message "Really we're all racists", or hearing the message "Really we're all horrified by what that cop did. That guy is going down. We're not standing for that, and we're with you"?

To wrap it up

As I said at the start, much has been said, and I haven't covered all that could be said. But for today I have gone on long enough, and want to close with my main point:

Really we're all horrified by what that cop did. That guy is going down. We're not standing for that, and we're with you.

7 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

I saved a copy of this, and put a link to it in my next Sunspots post, for what it's worth.

Thanks.

Kevin Knox said...

Hello WF,

I appreciate your sincere and caring thinking here, but I'm going to walk alongside BLM further than you do. I understand your point. You appropriately condemn Chauvin for the racist killing, and the police captain's negligence that allowed it. You heartily support the protests over the unjust killing, even as you oppose the riots. You finish up by pointing out most white people are not racists.

I've learned a lot in the last 3 years, or I'd probably echo your sentiments here.

The protests are not about George Floyd, and never were. The protests are about an abusive relationship between Black Americans and a culture they can neither survive nor flee. I've learned I have Black friends afraid when their children go out at night, not of a scary world but of scary police officers. This is not an isolated incident, but their daily experience, and these are not people in the news, but people I respect. It's not a few thousand rioters, but 40 million people I thought were getting a fair shake and are not.

I lived a ton of years thinking all that racism stuff was only in my history books, but kids I taught at school received real, concrete racist abuse from other kids I taught in the same Christian school. Mixed couples in affluent gated communities in my fair city report frightening threats by drivers when they're out walking, children of people I know. Financial disadvantages, injustices, and personal disparagement are their reports to me. It's a 24/7 environment of knowing no one has their back, knowing no one is going to step up and make America a place their kids can thrive, unless they give the abuser reason to pause.

I cannot presume to tell them what's going to work when every peaceful thing they've tried over 120 years has only gotten them to here.

Beyond that, I'd suggest to them a better answer if I had one. I don't. I cannot. I've not lived in their shoes, seen America through their eyes, or feared on any single day the things they fear for their children daily. I cannot tell Black Americans how to achieve an equal future for their children until I'm sure I grasp the world in which they live and which they need to change.

I know you're a great listener, where I'm middlin' at best. Here's a couple links I've written describing the history in play as I understand it. You may not find them surprising. I know I did, but we all have a different history of our own.

https://familyhoodchurch.blogspot.com/2020/06/listening-to-experiences-not-our-own.html
https://familyhoodchurch.blogspot.com/2020/07/battle-flags-cannot-heal.html

Weekend Fisher said...

Hey Martin

Thank you, that's very generous of you. I am glad to hear you found it worthwhile.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Weekend Fisher said...

Hey Kevin

I'll check out your links next; first I wanted to thank you for reading and commenting. After I read your links I'm likely to sleep on it.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Weekend Fisher said...

Hey Kevin

I've read, and slept. And slept more than once. ;)

There is something so different about your experiences and mine that makes me wonder if we would need to have other conversations first, before we had a clean place to start. I've never known anyone to fly a confederate flag; that would throw me for a loop. Years ago I saw one on a truck, but that was awhile back, and just seeing it on the road it was nobody that I knew. I've never personally known anybody to fly that thing.

My boss (who is black) is in a mixed marriage, and has never mentioned any problems. One of my old college roommates (also black) married a white guy some years ago; she mentioned that some people would give her a hesitant reaction when they first met her husband, that she took as "Oh, you're one of those couples"; she was easy-going about it and her reaction was, "No, this is my husband" -- it was all about just the fact that two people loved each other. It wasn't some big matter of contention. Last I heard from her, she's happy with her life and her choices. My next-door neighbor (who is black) has been fairly friendly these last few years, once we got past some neighbor issues about her dog biting one of my kids, back in the day.

I don't have much of a reference point for assuming that the whole system is irredeemably oppressive when my boss is black, or for the assumption that we've made no progress when the neighborhoods and schools that have been part of my life are a healthy mix, or that all white people are irredeemably, inescapably tainted. (I mean, what about my boss' wife or my old roommate's husband? We're painting with way too broad a brush if we say those two are racist just because they're white.)

We have a lot that still needs doing. But I can't start out with the assumption that we've made no progress, or that all whiteys are evil, or that it's all broken beyond fixing when I see so many things IRL that sure don't look like that. Though if I knew someone who actually flew the freakin' confederate flag in 2020, it might make me take a dimmer view. May I ask where you found those guys?

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Kevin Knox said...

I seem, somehow, to have distracted you from my point. Almost all of my Black friends are suffering, and suffering things I don't suffer, because they are Black and I am not. If I said America has made no progress, that all whiteys are evil, or that things cannot be fixed, then I spoke poorly. 60,000 people did not march because they think previous marches were useless; they did not march because the people they're trying to reach are all evil; they did not march without hope things can be fixed.

Racism and its damage is real for my friends, and I'm hearing that clearly in ways I never have before. Having heard more, I have to say more. People are angry, and the anger is for deep causes, deeper than a single murder.

You don't see this anger in your Black friends. Needless to say, I find that hard to receive at face value, not solely because your experience differs so widely from mine. I also find it hard to accept because not too long ago I didn't know any of the stories I know now. I taught Writing at a Christian school to some great kids, but the Black kids I taught received racist abuse from some of the white kids and I never knew it. I was in a position to do something to help them, but I didn't believe there was an issue. Had I known their world the way I do now, they would not have had to work through it alone, and that matters. Each of the other stories I've heard follows the same pattern. Someone who could have done a little something didn't believe there was an issue, so someone else had to suffer.

I believe there's something to know, and knowing it we can make a difference.

Weekend Fisher said...

When someone is going through a hard time, being there and listening are a genuine service. They are a meaningful step on the road to healing. Validating someone's right to be treated well is also a positive service, giving voice to "You did not deserve that" or "That was so messed up it's beyond belief", and "You deserve better than that."

To that end, I think "That guy was appalling, we're not standing for it, we're with you, and he is going down" is a far more validating message to send than "Actually we're all racists" (which is a reference to my post, which was a reference to various popular media tropes currently). Among the people I regularly, I mentioned to my boss that I was so glad that guy was behind bars where he belonged; my boss was glad to see that nobody -- nobody -- was standing with George Floyd's killer; he mentioned that even the guy's wife filed for divorce.

I remember you making a comment a few years back to the effect that deep change happens over a cup of coffee (paraphrased). That's where hearts change. There's a place for bigger things to happen, but bigger things often go wrong in a bigger way, whether they intended to or not. I think they go wrong by re-asserting the division, and re-asserting the hostility, and so end up doubling down on the problem. It takes a certain kind of leadership to pull it off successfully.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF