Sunday, March 29, 2020

God's Providence

This continues the Lent reflections on trusting God in tough times. 

There was a time a couple of years ago when there was a family crisis. My brother was having a serious life-threatening problem, and as I rearranged my schedule to see him that day I had to make a choice of what to do in the brief time before I could see him: a choice between a support group meeting and dinner. I chose the support group meeting, which is generally out-of-character for me; I don't skip meals. But with the stress, I wasn't sure of my stomach anyway. When I got to the support group meeting, one of the other members had made and brought a batch of soup. It wasn't just any soup, it was broccoli cheese soup which is probably my favorite soup. So there I was, having worried about missing a meal, having made a tough call about priorities -- and what I needed was provided. I'd never heard of anyone bringing a meal to that meeting before or since. But the one night I needed it, it was there.

That is not the only time I've seen things provided when I needed them, but one anecdote will do for tonight. Remembering those times helps me focus on what is important, and trust that not everything is up to me.

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

Good anecdote.

Weekend Fisher said...

And for the record, my friend L_ makes an amazing pot of broccoli cheese soup.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF