Thursday, July 16, 2009

Teenage Sunday school

I teach a teenage Sunday school class, and I wanted to share a few of the best insights I've learned from my students over the last couple of years. I'll also pass along one that was not exactly insightful, but was too good to keep to myself. You'll know which one ...



Q. Can you think of any reasons why God may have chosen Mary to be Jesus' mother?
A. She's humble.
Q. How do you know?
A. Well, anyone else would have said, "Why, thank you, of course you chose me." But she was like, "Why me?"



Q. So Satan was just baiting Jesus with the "If you really are God's son" bit. Did Jesus ever prove to Satan that he was God's son?
A. Yes.
Q. When? How?
A. When he didn't take the bait.



When learning by memory where to find certain key Bible passages, in case they ever want to look up the passage for reference -- a student comes up with an interesting memory device.
The Ten Commandments is in Exodus 20. That's the second book of the Bible (2), it's the Ten Commandments (10), 2 x 10 = 20, so it's in Exodus 20.



Q. What is God like?
A. Omnipotent.
A. Omniscient.
A. Omnivorous.

I kid you not, that was one of the answers I got, and the kid wasn't kidding, he was just having a vocabulary-challenged moment where all the 75-cent words sounded alike to him. I actually didn't like the first two answers much better, being far too canned to have been their own thoughts. ;)

3 comments:

LoieJ said...

These are great!

DougALug said...

I like these. I taught pre-k SS for years and here are two that still crack me up:

One time a little boy came up to me and said: "Mr. Joseph? When we were playing, Joshua had his eyes open." I responded "How did you know?". To which his eye got real wide.

I was teaching on Jesus being asleep in the boat during the storm. I was about to tell the children what he said to the storm when one little boy raised his hand and shouted "I know what he said!" I called on him and he said "Please be still!". Based on the temperament of this child, I am betting he heard this phrase often.

God Bless
Doug

Weekend Fisher said...

ROFL I like those.

How does that saying go, "I learned much from my teachers, more from my peers, and most from my students" or something like that.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF