Thursday, May 21, 2009

My proverbs for parenting

I was scanning through Proverbs looking for material on parenting. I found a whole collection, but wanted to mention just the two that struck me the most. First, this familiar one:
Hatred stirs up strife,
but love covers up all faults.
(Prov 10:12, & echoes in 1 Peter 4:8)
Which reminded me that it's not strictly true that love is blind; more that it is cleansing and redemptive. It is cause to celebrate when someone loves us, and our own love likewise has the power to give others cause to celebrate with relief and the gladness that comes with acceptance.

Proverbs 31 also has a gentling, humanizing vision of being a parent:
The Torah of kindness is on her tongue (Proverbs 31:26)

2 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

That's good insight!

Weekend Fisher said...

Thank you, Martin. Always good to see you.

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF