Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The triumph of God over chaos

There was evening,
   and there was morning ...
Have you ever gotten your days and nights switched so that you were sleeping and waking out of your habit and pattern? At times like that I often feel tired, and even when fully awake and energetic, I tend to be unhappy that I am fully awake at such an odd hour, knowing that it will only perpetuate another day out of rhythm.
There was evening,
   and there was morning ...
The creation account in Genesis 1 has several refrains, and one is the ordering of time. As God begins to bring order to the chaos, besides creating things he also gives order to time. He establishes a pulse in the world, a rhythm by which all life marks time.

I have a conjecture that people deprived of contact with nature are more likely to be atheists, while those in more contact with the natural world are more likely to perceive the hand of the creator. I wonder whether the same might happen with people whose lives have been wrenched out of any natural daily rhythm -- those on rotating shifts or rotating days off, or even with over-full schedules where days all run together in an endless chaotic blur.
There was evening,
   and there was morning ...
In the process of creating, the ultimate triumph of God over chaos is the Sabbath. A day of rest, a day of peace, a day of quiet, a day of blessing: a day in which the rhythm of time has been so thoroughly kneaded into the world that there is a day, a blessed day, free of chaos.

3 comments:

LoieJ said...

The first part of your conjecture is part of the premise behind camps run by church groups.

My husband currently has a job in an office area that has no windows. This time of year, he leaves for work when the sun still isn't up and leaves for home after the sun has gone down. That is really hard on him. No wonder he likes to spend his free days outside and also in the wilderness whenever possible.

Weekend Fisher said...

I'm not an indoor person, myself. I take a walk or bikeride (or both) every weekday morning, and any extra outdoor time I can fit into the schedule. I'm curious whether any studies have been done along those lines ...

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Martin Cooke said...

I find it very musical, that "evening, ...morning" thing; and I think you're right in your conjecture. The sky, for example, seems like a massive advert for something beyond this locally flat world, and it only looks right in the country. How, I wonder, would we have evolved the finding of the sky aesthetically interesting? If we stand around and gawk at it we are very unfit, in Darwinian terms. But atheists often ask why a loving God is not more comforting, why so silent, if he exists. And there is that brilliant Expressionistic lighting!