Sunday, September 17, 2006

God's Word: "Fear Not"

I have noticed, sometimes, worry and fear about the world around us. Sometimes war seems nearer and sometimes farther. Right now, of course, it seems nearer. Sometimes those who give themselves over to evil rage -- proving that they are enemies of God -- seem more murderous and their murderous rage seems to grow. The only message I have about the times is the one we have been given for all times: Watch and be ready. But there is another message that God brings at all kinds of times: Fear not.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. (Psalm 46:1-2)

Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. (Isaiah 41:10)

But now says the LORD who created you, O Jacob, and who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by your name; you are mine." (Isaiah 43:1)

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

The LORD is on my side. I will not fear. What can man do to me? (Psalm 118:6)

You drew near in the day that I called on you: you said, "Fear not." (Lamentations 3:57)

Didn't God tell Abraham, "Fear not, for I am your shield and your very great reward"? (Genesis 15:1) Didn't God tell Hagar, "Fear not; for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is"? (Genesis 21:17) Didn't God tell Isaac, "Fear not, for I am with you and will bless you, and multiply your seed for my servant Abraham's sake"? (Genesis 26:24) Didn't God tell Jacob, "Fear not to go down into Egypt, for there I will make of you a great nation"? (Genesis 46:3)

How often did God say to Moses, and to his people through Moses, not to fear their enemies, but to fear only Him, to wait and see the salvation that God would work for them? Didn't the angel tell Daniel, even while he was in captivity and a slave in a foreign land, not to fear? Didn't Daniel take heart that his service and devotion to God was known in heaven? (Daniel 10:12-19) When the exiles rebuilt what was destroyed after their return, didn't God remind them of his love and his faithfulness, and tell them not to fear? (Haggai 2:5)

When Christ came, didn't the angels announce to Mary, to Joseph, and to the shepherds not to fear? When Christ came, didn't he tell us not to fear those who destroy the body, but cannot destroy the soul? Didn't he tell us to fear only God? Christ did not promise that we should have no trouble. Instead, he promised that in this world we would have trouble, but that he had overcome the world.

It is possible that we may face more serious persecution in our times for the name of Christ. When the disciples had trouble and persecutions, didn't they celebrate that they were accounted worthy of such a thing? And can you name one hero of the faith who was accounted an especially worthy servant without trials or sufferings? Didn't the greatest lay down their lives for God, not fearing man but only the LORD?

I would like to think the current storms that threaten us would pass, even if that seems unlikely some days. But in a time like this, we will show whether we trust God and hope in him by what we allow to frighten us. Is anyone else in the place of God, that we should fear them?

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. (Psalm 46:1-2)

No comments: